IN-SCHOOL PLAYWRITING WORKSHOPS
City Theatre’s Young Playwrights program fulfills state Common Core and Academic Standards, including Arts and Humanities and English Language Arts. The program is dedicated to centering and amplifying youth voices in a creative and safe way. Through classroom-based residencies, the program takes students through ensemble building exercises and creative games and writing prompts to encourage students to explore the fundamentals of playwriting with the goal of submitting their one-act to the Young Playwrights Contest.
A City Theatre teaching artist collaborates with the classroom teacher to facilitate in-school playwriting workshops for students. Students learn improvisation and basic theatre skills in an ensemble-based environment, as well as monologue writing, dialogue writing, character creation, and other fundamentals of playwriting. Students participate in moderated constructive peer review of each other’s work, and have the unique opportunity to receive one-on-one feedback from the teaching artist in individual revision conferences.
City Theatre’s core values are Community, Collaboration, Creativity, and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility and the Young Playwrights program and its teaching artists are committed to those values
GRANT FUNDING AVAILABLE!
What you get:
- An in-school playwriting residency
- Student tickets to the Young Playwrights Festival
- Student tickets to a student matinee
- Flex subscription to all Mainstage shows FOR YOU!
- Bus transportation and substitute teachers costs reimbursed
- Attend the 1-day YP Teachers Institute at City Theatre (ACT 48 credit provided)
- Attend 3 of the 4 additional Professional Development workshops (ACT 48 credit provided)
- Complete all evaluation materials (surveys, lesson plan samples, etc.)
- Student completion of online survey
7-12th grade teachers in IU1, IU4 and IU7
For more information about grant funding OR bringing a residency to your school, please contact Katie Trupiano, Director of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org.